The talk of a potential sale of WWE has picked up once again following WWE Chairman Vince McMahon's decision to sell 15-percent of his WWE stock.
Deadline has a featured article up talking about McMahon's recent sale of 15% of his WWE stock, which they equated to basically putting a "sell" rating on the shares.
There was also a quote in the article from Alan Gould of Loop Capital, who noted to investors that a WWE deal where they would sell streaming rights to their PPV doesn't appear to be happening any time soon.
"The expectation was that if a deal were struck, it would occur in the first quarter, prior to WrestleMania 36, which starts April 4," said Gould. "We do not believe Mr. McMahon would be entering a prepaid forward contract on 15% of his shares – about 3.5 million of them – in front of such an announcement."
Additionally, Gould noted that despite the current rough patch, WWE stock should bounce back but not to previously seen high levels:
“WrestleMania will not be the same spectacle it typically is out of the Orlando Performance Center as opposed to Tampa Stadium in front of 70,000+ live fans," Gould said. "WWE was forced to move WrestleMania to the Orlando Center and air the event without fans. The show will generate less revenue and likely less ongoing WWE Network subscribers."
Gould continued, "It’s been a driver, responsible for the largest number of gross adds each year to the WWE Network and a recurring monthly revenue generator. However, the event will lose its ticket and most of its merchandise and sponsorship revenue."
Bloomberg also has an op-ed piece up where they claim the idea was thrown out whether Vince McMahon is ready to sell his company.
Additionally, it also explained the process behind McMahon's recent sale of stocks.
The speculation centered around whether McMahon, who previously has had no genuine interest in selling WWE, might be wanting to "tap out" due to the overall outlook of cable programming and McMahon's passion towards the XFL as well as the fact that larger media companies might see a lot of value in WWE's intellectual property and content.
From the Bloomberg article at Yahoo! Finance:
McMahon, the 74-year-old chairman and CEO of WWE, is now looking to free up funds without relinquishing his control over the wrestling empire. On Tuesday, the company disclosed that McMahon entered into a prepaid variable forward contract, which essentially functions as a cash advance from a bank. The way it works is, McMahon agrees to eventually sell some of his shares at some future date — March 2024, in this case — receiving the money now, but without having to actually turn over the stock or pay taxes on the sale yet.
According to Bloomberg News’s Drew Singer, the bank was Morgan Stanley and the deal priced 2.26 million shares at $38 apiece, representing more than $80 million in freed-up liquidity. In the meantime, McMahon gets to collect the usual dividends on those shares, and he can keep the holdings by settling the contract for cash. The agreement also doesn’t affect McMahon’s other 25 million or so class B shares, which represent just over 70% of the company’s total voting power.
We will keep you posted here at eWrestling.com as rumors of a potential WWE sale by Vince McMahon continue to surface.
- PHOTOS: Custom Nike Sneakers & Special Jewelry Made For WWE Hall Of Fame Induction Of New World Order (nWo) ...
UPDATE: Major mainstream media outlets, including @DEADLINE, @YahooFinance & many others report again about talk of potential #WWE sale after #VinceMcMahon unloads 15% of his @WWE stock earlier this week -- VERY interest story ...
LINK: https://t.co/uBTeDRsavH pic.twitter.com/SEM0pEq4Ny
— Matt Boone (@MattBoone1984) March 26, 2020
WWE & AEW NEWS HEADLINES* Paul Heyman Makes Big Claim In Statement Responding To ESPN Reporter About WrestleMania
* Vince McMahon "Freaks Out Badly" Over "Top Secret Meeting" With Big Name Leaking Online
* Triple H Takes Shot At Boxing Star Deontay Wilder In WrestleMania Comment During ESPN Special
* Plans For Bad-Ass Becky Lynch "The Man" Ring Entrance At WrestleMania 36 Scrapped
* Backstage News On Working Relationship Between WWE & IMPACT Wrestling
* Very, VERY Interesting News Regarding WWE's Plans For WrestleMania 36 Fallout On RAW
* WrestleMania 36 Spoilers: Actual Script For 2-Night WWE PPV Leaks Online (PHOTOS)
* WWE Changes Plans For Paige's Return Segment On SmackDown At Last Minute
* WATCH: WWE Stars Stop Wrestling, Talk Casually When Empty Arena TV Goes To Break (VIDEO)
* Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan, Becky Lynch Sing On Carpool Karaoke (Full Episode Video)
* Braun Strowman Finds Himself Subject Of Controversy After Insensitive Twitter Comments Go Viral
* WWE Sends Internal Memo Banning Specific Words & Phrases During WrestleMania 36 Build-Up On TV
* LOOK: Ricochet Debuts Completely New Clean-Shaven Look, Gets Rid Of All Facial Hair (Photos)
* WATCH: Dark Side Of The Ring: Chris Benoit -- Full Episode (VIDEO)
* Backstage Update On Conflicting Reports On Alberto Del Rio Negotiating Return To WWE
* Daniel Bryan Leaving WWE After WrestleMania 36, Only Returning As Part-Time Wrestler
* Backstage Update On Rumors Of WWE Attempting To Put Together CM Punk vs. Seth Rollins For WrestleMania 36
* WWE Pushes Back Plans For Special D-Generation X Return
eWRESTLING SOCIAL MEDIA* For late-breaking WWE & AEW news & rumors, follow our social media reporter on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow the official eWrestling account on Twitter @eWrestlingCOM
* Follow the official eWrestling Facebook page at Facebook.com/eWrestlingCOM
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official eWrestling Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/http-ewrestling-com