Before signing on the dotted line to join the growing movement at AEW, Jon Moxley considered making the jump from WWE to either Ring Of Honor or IMPACT Wrestling, said the former WWE Superstar known as Dean Ambrose during an interview on the debut episode of the new official AEW UNRESTRICTED podcast.
During his appearance on the premiere edition of the podcast, which dropped on Thursday, “The Purveyor of Violence” spoke about feeling “lost” near the end of his WWE run, AEW not making any “empty promises,” as well as considering moves to Ring Of Honor (ROH) and/or IMPACT Wrestling.
Featured below are some of the highlights from the interview.
On how lost he felt near the end of his WWE run and how he originally intended to address things: “So I knew [that I was leaving WWE] for about eight months prior to showing up in AEW. I didn’t know where I was going to go or what I was going to do. I was kind of thinking I would take myself ‘off Broadway’ so to speak: go wrestle in Japan or wrestle under a mask or something. I couldn’t really picture what I wanted to do or how I wanted to wrestle. I wasn’t going to be on every show and they’re like, ‘former WWE superstar Dean Ambrose’ and gouge people for money. I was trying to leave that in the past. I figured I would go out of the spotlight for a long time, and once I came up with a new thing and was ready to come back in one or two year, then I would try to come in the national scene again. I was paying attention to Ring of Honor, Impact, Japan; I knew I wanted to go to Japan for sure because I always loved wrestling over there when we go for WWE. I just love the fans over there, and it’s just a different culture and style. I got a real taste for it the couple of times when we were able to go. I knew I always wanted to come back, and I always had a feeling that I could in the back of my mind. I was thinking I was gonna disappear and then come back later on when I got a new schtick of some sort. That didn’t happen at all. Not even close.”
On Cody and Chris Jericho approaching him about coming to AEW, and how they have not made any “empty promises”: “They’re telling me about this AEW thing, and I’m like, ‘it sounds really awesome but I’ll believe it when I see it kind of thing.’ All the infrastructure was getting put into place before anybody knew about it which was smart. They didn’t come out with big promises right out of the gate and not deliver like most companies do. Like all of this stuff was set in stone before anybody knew about it. It’s amazing that this is all real. It’s still crazy because a year ago there wasn’t a legit alternative. Fans have been wanting this for Wrestlers have been wanting this for years. It’s something the business has needed for so many years. It’s finally here. It’s legit. It’s not going away. We just signed a new contract.”
On the timing and location of AEW Double Or Nothing feeling like a sign: “When it was like the first show, it was Double or Nothing. It’s May something. It was like three weeks after my contract was gonna be up, and it was in Vegas. It didn’t matter that it was in Vegas but something about it being in Vegas made it even more like a sign. Like I could just drive over. I don’t even need to get on a plane. It was like I didn’t even find that show. That show found me. All the signs in the universe were pointing me there. It was like, ‘alright. I guess we’re doing this.'”
On not being sure how he would be received in AEW due to the way he was being used in WWE: “At the time too [when going to AEW], to be perfectly honest, I didn’t know if people were gonna cheer, if they’re gonna boo, if they’re not gonna make any noise at all. It’s kind of why I had to go off Broadway for a while because I felt like my reputation had been tarnished so bad that I had to start from scratch again. You get popped in the a– with a syringe on TV and dress up like a teddy bear and DDT people and s–t like that. I remember one time standing in the ring in a bear suit for some reason. I can’t even explain to you why I’m standing in the ring in a bear suit, and I DDT’d The Miz or something and take off my bear hat. It’s like, you know, you get the Pavlovian kind of response like, ‘yay’, but I remember just thinking like this is so stupid. This is not even like funny or entertaining. I just remember standing there feeling like I hit rock bottom. I’m just done. This sucks. I’m just like, ‘what have I become in this bear suit?’. I’ve had many moments like that.”
Check out the complete Jon Moxley interview by checking out the debut episode of the new official AEW Unrestricted podcast at CHTBL.com.
BACKSTAGE NEWS UPDATE: Matt Hardy To AEW, ‘IN LIMBO’ Video Series Tied Into The Dark Order’s “Exalted One” (Photos)
The Purveyor of Violence and leader of the Paradigm Shift in #ProWrestling, #JonMoxley, talks AT LENGTH on NEW #AEW #podcast — #AEWUnrestricted — about considering jumping from #WWE to #IMPACT #Wrestling & #ROH before joining #AllEliteWrestling~!
LINK: https://t.co/QIIab3Ggi9 pic.twitter.com/TSudkq5PZI
— Matt Boone (@MattBoone1984) February 21, 2020
OTHER WWE & AEW VIDEOS, PHOTOS & NEWS
* Liv Morgan Shows Off New Look At WWE Live Event (Photos)
* Mandy Rose Dyes Hair Brown & Shows Off Brunette Look (Photos)
* Kofi Kingston Shows How He Is Starting To Go Bald (Video)
* John Cena On Romantic Dinner Date With New Girlfriend (Video)
* Cody Off-Air Promo After AEW Dynamite: Talks Moonsault Off Steel Cage (Video)
* The Rock Reveals Embarrassing, Hilarious Story About Breaking Character On Live WWE TV
* Becky Lynch With Unexpected, Unplanned Call-Out Of Stephanie McMahon (Video)
* Cody Gives Fan Moment He’ll Remember Forever At AEW Dynamite (Off-Air Video)
* Nikki Bella & Brie Bella Show Off Double Twin Pregnancy Baby-Bumps (Bella Moms Photos)
* Lacey Evans & Daughter Behind-The-Scenes At New TV Commercial Shoot (Video)
* Lars Sullivan Male On Male Adult Film Videos, Photos Leak Online
* CM Punk Leaks Internal WWE Booking Sheet Revealing Original Plans For Famous Angle (Photos)
* Top WWE NXT Superstar Gets New Neck Tattoo (Photos)
* WWE’s New Twin 7-Foot Indian Giants At Performance Center, RAW Debut Coming? (Photos)
eWrestling.com Social Media Interaction
* Follow eWrestling head writer Matt Boone on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow the official eWrestling account on Twitter @eWrestlingCOM
* Follow the official eWrestling Facebook page at Facebook.com/eWrestlingCOM
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official eWrestling Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/http-ewrestling-com