Details continue to surface regarding the reason why Vince McMahon decided to change the plans WWE originally had lined up for the pair of Royal Rumble matches designed to set up this year’s WrestleMania 36 main events.
We had previously reported that the original plans for the men’s and women’s Royal Rumble matches were for Roman Reigns and Shayna Baszler to win their respective matches, however, Vince McMahon changed his mind.
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter speculates that this happened around a week before the PPV as significant smart money came in on Flair to win on January 19, which is likely when McMahon flipped things around.
The reason for the switch is because McMahon wanted “stronger main events” for WrestleMania which for the men’s side means that Brock Lesnar vs. Drew McIntyre is going to be pushed and presented as the main event, bigger than the Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt match even though the latter match is for the Universal title.
As for Charlotte Flair, with Ronda Rousey out of the picture, the company sees her as the second biggest female star behind Becky Lynch but she is the highest paid.
Flair was supposed to get a singles match at WrestleMania last year against Rousey, but the company went in a different direction after Lynch got over huge.
- POSSIBLE *SPOILER* – WWE Re-Names & Re-Designs NXT Title To Set Up TOP Women’s Match, Star-Making Moment At WrestleMania 36 …
eWrestling.com Social Media Interaction
* Follow eWrestling head writer Matt Boone on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow the official eWrestling account on Twitter @eWrestlingCOM
* Follow the official eWrestling Facebook page at Facebook.com/eWrestlingCOM
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official eWrestling Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/http-ewrestling-com