Brett DiBiase – the son of former WWE wrestler Ted DiBiase – was among six people arrested by special agents with the State Auditor’s Office in connection with a multi-million dollar embezzlement scheme.
According to TV station WTVA, the six people conspired to illegally obtain millions in public funds from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, using a variety of schemes to defraud taxpayers. The actual amount of money involved is unclear at this time.
The station identifies the arrested parties involved as follows:
- 1. John Davis, the former director of the Mississippi Department of Human Services (DHS)
2. Latimer Smith, former DHS employee
3. Dr. Nancy New, owner and director of the Mississippi Community Education Center (MCEC) and New Learning, Inc.
4. Zach New, assistant executive director of MCEC
5. Anne McGrew, accountant for MCEC
6. Brett DiBiase, the son of former professional wrestler Ted DiBiase
The Auditor’s Office described the crimes in a press release:
“Davis and Smith stand accused of fraudulently manufacturing documents to enrich Brett DiBiase using TANF money. Davis and Smith created invoices to pay DiBiase TANF funds for teaching classes about drug abuse, but DiBiase was in a luxury rehabilitation facility for his own drug use in California at the time and did not perform the services. Davis and Smith created documents and arranged payment knowing DiBiase was not performing the work he was hired to perform.
Nancy New and her son, Zach New, stand accused of using the News’ non-profit, MCEC, to pay for DiBiase’s drug treatment using TANF funds. At Davis’ direction, MCEC used TANF money received from DHS to pay for DiBiase’s opioid treatment at the Rise in Malibu facility. The documentation submitted by the News claimed this was to pay DiBiase for conducting training classes that never, in fact, took place.
The News also stand accused of transferring millions in TANF funds to their private businesses. They then converted funds to their personal use and concealed the conversion through various fund transfers, fraudulent documents, at least one forged signature, and deceptive accounting measures.
Finally, Davis and the News are accused of creating a fraud scheme to take TANF funds to pay for personal investments in medical device companies (Prevacus, Inc., and PreSolMD, LLC) in Florida.”
(Thanks to eWrestling.com reader Wayne Davis for his contribution towards this story.)
WWE & AEW NEWS AND RUMORS
* AEW Dynamite Debut Date Set For Luke Harper
* NXT Title Changes To Set Up One-Night Star-Making Moment For New WWE Talent At WrestleMania 36
* PHOTO: NXT Women’s Star Gets Special Neck Tattoo To Commemorate Her Royal Rumble Debut
* Several Big Names Backstage At Royal Rumble But Not Used, Including Undertaker (PHOTO)
* Update On WWE Changing Initial Plan For Reigns/Baszler Royal Rumble Wins
* WATCH: Drew McIntyre Thanks Vince McMahon Backstage Im+ediately After Royal Rumble Win (Video)
* PHOTOS: The Bella Twins Release Multiple Double-Pregnancy Galleries & Video
* WATCH: Aftermath Of Randy Orton’s Attack On Edge Plays Out In Dramatic Fashion Off-Air After RAW (Video)
* PHOTOS: Two New 7-Foot Tall Talent Recruits Start At WWE Performance Center
* Paul Heyman Campaigned For Aleister Black To Win Royal Rumble Match
* WATCH: Fan Gets Moment He’ll Never Forget Off-Air At AEW TV Taping (Video)
* Exact Quote Brock Lesnar Said That Started Backstage Altercation With Matt Riddle At Royal Rumble
* Reason WWE Kept U.S. Title On Andrade During 30-Day Wellness Policy Suspension
* Report: Vince McMahon Offends The Rock’s Family With Behavior At Rocky Johnson’s Funeral
* WrestleMania 36 Updates: Possible *Spoiler* On Title Change Before PPV, Top Matches Being Lined Up
* WATCH: Unedited Off-Air Footage From Multiple Camera Angles Of Edge’s Royal Rumble Entrance (Video)
* WWE Working On Plans To Create New Top Main Roster Star From NXT In One Night At WrestleMania 36
* WATCH: Edge’s Emotional Surprise WWE Return As Entrant No. 1 In 2020 Royal Rumble (Video)
eWrestling.com Social Media Interaction
* Follow eWrestling head writer Matt Boone on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow the official eWrestling account on Twitter @eWrestlingCOM
* Follow the official eWrestling Facebook page at Facebook.com/eWrestlingCOM
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official eWrestling Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/http-ewrestling-com