After going 0-2 in the Octagon in what are still his only two professional MMA fights to date, former UFC fighter and WWE Superstar Phil "CM Punk" Brooks doesn't appear to be at all interested in lacing up a pair of boxing gloves for a debut in the sport of sweet science.
A few months ago Punk was the subject of a highly-discussed potential high-dollar celebrity boxing match after being mentioned specifically by social media superstar Logan Paul as someone he would like to fight after coming up short in his second fight with fellow social media star KSI.
Following his six-round split decision loss to KSI in the November 2019 rematch (56-55 Paul, 56-55 KSI, 57-54 KSI) of their celebrity boxing contest, Paul claimed he would "destroy" the former WWE Superstar turned part-time analyst of the weekly WWE On FOX Sports 1 (FS1) series, WWE Backstage, after naming him as someone he would like to fight in a potential return to the prize fighting ring.
"I think I would destroy CM Punk if I'm being honest," Paul told TMZ.com during an interview on November 12, 2019. "I don't know if anyone would disagree with that. Not think [I could beat him], I know I could."
While walking down the street in Los Angeles, California "the other night" with fellow WWE Backstage analyst Renee Young, as well as a FOX executive, Punk was tracked down by the sports branch of the same celebrity gossip website that Paul spoke with a few months ago, TMZ Sports, to get his reaction to the comments.
"No," Punk said outright in response, not offering any further ammo to keep the story going.
Additionally, ahead of tonight's WWE Royal Rumble 2020 pay-per-view at Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas, Punk spoke during the interview with the media outlet about the traditional 30-man Royal Rumble match, offering his prediction on who will emerge victorious and move on to challenge for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 36.
"I think it's kind of a no-brain'er," said Punk before name-dropping the same NXT Superstar that he mentioned during his most recent guest analyst appearance on FS1's WWE Backstage program. "I think Keith Lee is a good guy."
Punk added, "They need stars. They could build a star with Keith Lee."
The TMZ interviewer then asked Punk if he doesn't think Brock Lesnar has what it takes to last 60 minutes with 29 other WWE Superstars to win the match on Sunday night.
"I think Brock's like me," Punk started in response. "He works once a month, he's smart about his time and he doesn't want to wrestle for an hour."
When asked if he had any advice for the standout performer from WWE's black-and-gold brand, Keith Lee, whom Punk picked as the guy who he feels deserves the win the 2020 men's Royal Rumble match, "The Best in the World" kept it simple-and-sweet.
"Just shoot and throw everybody over the top rope," said Punk before flashing a cheesy smile and a thumbs-up hand gesture to the camera before getting into his car and driving off.
Make sure to join us here at eWrestling.com TONIGHT for LIVE WWE Royal Rumble 2020 Results coverage from Houston, Texas!
If you use any of the above quotes from the CM Punk interview for publication on your website or blog, please credit Matt Boone and eWrestling.com with a link for transcribing.
- Videos & Close-Up HQ Photos: New Look WWE NXT Cruiserweight Title Unveiled At Worlds Collide, Redesigned AGAIN After Show Ends (...)
WWE Royal Rumble Results From Houston, Texas (Jan. 26, 2020)
* UPDATED: WWE Royal Rumble *SPOILERS* -- Expected Men & Women's Royal Rumble Match Winners
* WWE Royal Rumble Spoiler Update: Surprise Entrants In Women's Royal Rumble Match
* Edge's Status For 2020 WWE Royal Rumble 30-Man Match In Houston, TX.
* Late Additions & Changes To Lineup For WWE Royal Rumble 2020 Pay-Per-View
* *Spoiler* Legend Confirmed For Royal Rumble PPV, WWE's Plans For Him Revealed
* WWE Royal Rumble *Spoilers* & Updates: Expected Rumble Match Winner, Lesnar's WM36 Opponent
* The Undertaker Spotted At WWE PC Ahead Of Royal Rumble (Photo), Update On Possible Surprise Entrants
* WWE Royal Rumble Updates For 1/26 PPV In Houston: New Title & Gimmick Matches, More
* *Spoiler* Update: WWE Legend Reportedly A "Lock" For Surprise Return In 30-Man Royal Rumble Match
* WWE Royal Rumble Betting Odds For 1/26 PPV In Houston, TX. (Possible *Spoilers*)
* Update On Rumors Of WWE Hall Of Fame Legend Edge Returning In 2020 Royal Rumble Match
* Backstage News On Brock Lesnar Being Placed In Royal Rumble Match To Set Up WrestleMania 36 Match
* WWE Royal Rumble Spoiler Updates Around-The-Clock On Our Social Media Outlet (...)
Happy #SundayMorning to all, and to all a happy #WWERoyalRumble Day ...
Ahead of #WWE #RoyalRumble2020 PPV, #WWEBackstage host #CMPunk gives #RoyalRumble match-winner #predictions & responds to #LoganPaul's #celebrity #boxing #challenge!! (#VIDEO)
LINK: https://t.co/mNz12hdkXE pic.twitter.com/Wk1SppE6Wo
— Matt Boone (@MattBoone1984) January 26, 2020
eWrestling.com Social Media Interaction* Follow eWrestling head writer Matt Boone on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow the official eWrestling account on Twitter @eWrestlingCOM
* Follow the official eWrestling Facebook page at Facebook.com/eWrestlingCOM
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official eWrestling Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/http-ewrestling-com