The January 28, 2019 edition of WWE RAW took place at the Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix, Arizona.
– This week’s broadcast opens up with a shot of the WrestleMania sign hanging high up in the arena. Seth Rollins comes out to the ring to kick off the show. The crowd chants “Burn it Down” as the 2019 Royal Rumble winner steps in the ring. Rollins says he wasn’t going to do this if he won, but he has to, and that’s point at the WrestleMania sign hanging in the arena. Rollins says his dream was to point at that sign and compete at WrestleMania. Rollins says he could challenge WWE Champion Daniel Bryan, or he could challenge Universal Champion Brock Lesnar. Rollins says it’s a tough decision, and he’s going to have to think about it. Triple H’s music hits, and The Game comes out to the ring.
Triple H steps in the ring in front of Rollins and gets on the mic. He says he’s glad Rollins pointed at the sign and lived his dream. HHH says Rollins is making him emotional because he’d proud that Rollins stepped up to the challenge. HHH says Becky Lynch is going to pick her WrestleMania opponent tomorrow night on SmackDown Live, and Rollins needs to pick his opponent tonight. Triple H says Rollins has until the end of the night to decide whose ass he’s going to kick at WrestleMania. Rollins says it’ll be one of the hardest decisions he’ll ever make, and then Dean Ambrose comes out to interrupt.
Ambrose steps in the ring and gets on the mic, and he tries to turn Rollins against Triple H. Triple H brings up Ambrose turning on Rollins, and Ambrose tells Triple H to mind his own business. Ambrose says he heard Triple H has some stroke around here, so why doesn’t he book Ambrose against Rollins right here and now. Triple H starts to walk away, and Ambrose asks if Triple H has to go ask permission from his father in law first. Triple H stops and looks at Ambrose, and the crowd seems to chant “yes he does.” Triple H calls for a referee, and it looks like we have a match.
– Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins: Rollins starts off strong and dropkicks Ambrose down to the ringside floor early on. He whips Ambrose into the barricade, then they trade strikes on the floor. Rollins leaps off the barricade with a flying clothesline on Ambrose, then he takes him back in the ring. Rollins leaps off the top rope, but Ambrose kicks him out of the air, then slams him down by the hair. Ambrose stomps on Rollins in the corner now until the ref calls for a break. Rollins gets up and comes back with a superkick on Ambrose. Rollins hits another kick and looks for the curb stomp, but Ambrose avoids it. They fight back out to ringside, where Ambrose slams Rollins head-first into the ring post. Back in the ring, Ambrose hits a facebuster for a two count.
Ambrose and Rollins fight on the turnbuckle now, which leads to Rollins knocking Ambrose down and hitting a flying cross body on him. Rollins hits some strikes, and then runs the ropes and hits the Sling Blade. Ambrose rolls outside and Rollins hits a suicide dive on him. Back in the ring, Rollins clotheslines Ambrose back outside and hits a second suicide dive on him. Back in the ring, Rollins looks for the Falcon Arrow, but Ambrose escapes. Rollins hits a kick on Ambrose, and Ambrose falls back out to ringside. Rollins runs the ropes and hits a third suicide dive on Ambrose. Back in the ring, Ambrose starts mounting a comeback and he rolls up Rollins for a two count. Ambrose looks for the Dirty Deeds, but Rollins escapes and knees him in the face. Rollins powerbombs Ambrose into the turnbuckle, then boots him in the face. Rollins follows up with the curb stomp for the three count.
Winner: Seth Rollins
– Ambrose throws a tantrum in the ring after the match.
– Still to come: Kurt Angle vs. Baron Corbin; plus, Brock Lesnar and Daniel Bryan are in the house for Rollins’ decision tonight.
– The new WWE Women’s Tag Team Championships are presented at ringside.
– Back from the break, Dean Ambrose is in the ring sitting in a chair, and he’s got a mic. Ambrose starts to speak, but he immediately gets interrupted by Nia Jax and Tamina. They get in the ring, and Nia gets in Ambrose’s face. When Ambrose turns to look at Tamina, Nia attacks Ambrose from behind. Referees haul off Ambrose as the crowd chants “let them fight.” Ambrose ends up leaving up the ramp.
– Tamina & Nia Jax vs. Alexa Bliss & Mickie James: We see a brief pre-taped promo from Alexa and Mickie before the match about their intentions to win the new Tag Titles. Alexa and Tamina start off trading shots to the face. Alexa dodges a shot and drops Tamina, then hits a standing moonsault for a one count. Nia tags in and spears Alexa into her corner, knocking Mickie down from the apron in the process.
Tamina tags back in and puts the boots to Alexa on the mat, then albows her in the head. Nia tags back in and hits the running butt bump on Alexa in the corner, then she sits on her head against the turnbuckle. Tamina tags back in and works over Bliss, but Bliss is able to dodge a shot and roll up Tamina for a two count. Alexa escapes a powerslam attempt and then tags in Mickie. Mickie comes in with a splash off the top on Tamina, then she hits a hurricanrana. Nia tags in, and she misses a splash in the corner. Mickie fires back with a kick and looks for a DDT, but Nia throws Mickie off of her. Alexa tries to get involved, and Nia hits a double Samoan Drop on both Alexa and Mickie for the three count.
Winners: Nia Jax & Tamina
– We see an interview with Kurt Angle from earlier today, where he talks about RAW GM being a great job, and Corbin costing him that job. The interviewer says Kurt was humiliated in his match with Drew McIntyre last November, but Kurt says the only person who is worried tonight is Baron Corbin.
– Baron Corbin vs. Kurt Angle: Before the match, Corbin gets on the mic and talks trash to Kurt about how he was tough back in the day, but he doesn’t believe Kurt has one more good match in him, and it’s the fans’ fault he’s going to hurt Kurt tonight. Kurt shuts Corbin up with right hands, and the ref calls for the opening bell. Kurt throws a few more right hands and then hits a German suplex on Corbin. Corbin comes back with a clothesline for a one count. Corbin puts the boots to Angle and chokes him on the rope until the ref calls for a break. Corbin follows up with knee and elbow strikes on the Olympic Gold Medalist. Corbin charges at Angle in the corner, but Angle fires back with elbows and a kick. Angle follows up with a series of German suplexes on Corbin for a two count. Angle misses a shot and Corbin comes back with a big boot. Corbin talks trash to Angle, and Angle slaps him across the face and hits the Olympic Slam. Kurt covers for a two count. Angle takes the shoulder straps off and puts Corbin in the ankle lock. Corbin kicks Angle away, then hits the Deep Six for the three count.
Winner: Baron Corbin
– After the match, Corbin gets back in the ring and goes after Angle again. Corbin hits the End of Days on Angle, then talks trash to the fans.
– Still to come: Ronda Rousey is here for an open challenge for her Women’s Title belt.
– Finn Balor is shown arriving backstage and shaking hands with some wrestlers on his way in.
– Balor comes out to the ring and gets on the mic. Balor talks about going 10 minutes with Brock Lesnar last night, and getting beaten by him. Balor says he’s never seen speed and power combined like that, and today he’s hurting. Balor says he’s here with his head held high, and then Bobby Lashley comes out to interrupt with Lio Rush. They step in the ring, and Lio gets on the mic. Lio tells Balor that it’s a disgrace that Balor even got a shot at the Universal Championship. Lio says Balor almost beat Lesnar last night, but he wouldn’t have a chance against Lashley. Lio says Lashley is bigger, faster, and stronger than Brock Lesnar will ever be. Finn says he lasted longer with Lesnar than Lashley lasted in the Royal Rumble. Lashley attacks Balor now and hits a big spinebuster. Lashley hits another one, and Balor is down. Lashley picks up Balor and slams him down again. Lio Rush puts his Lashley t-shirt over Balor’s body, and they leave.
– Still to come: Braun Strowman vs. Drew McIntyre
– Ryder & Hawkins vs. The Revival: The opening bell sounds and all four men get involved early on. Ryder and Hawkins dump the Revival outside then Ryder hits a baseball slide dropkick on Dawson. Back in the ring, The Revival double teams Ryder for a two count. Wilder tags in now for another double team on Ryder. Dawson and Hawkins get the tags, and Hawkins cleans house. Hawkins drops both Revival members and is fired up now. Dawson comes back with a lariat on Hawkins, then he knocks Ryder off the apron. Wilder tags in and they hit the Shatter Machine on Hawkins for the three count.
Winners: The Revival
– WWE Champion Daniel Bryan is backstage with Eric Rowan. Bryan trashes Rollins for celebrating air pollution by saying “burn it down.” Bryan says he won’t wait until WrestleMania, because they will end Rollins’ WrestleMania hopes tonight. Bryan is sporting a black eye tonight.
– Elias is in the ring for a song, and he leads the crowd in a Walk With Elias chant. Elias tells the fans they need to start giving him louder ovations. Elias tells the fans to shut their mouths, then he starts to play his guitar, but Jeff Jarrett comes out to interrupt again. Jarrett comes out to the stage and tells Elias “listen up, Slap Nuts.” Jeff takes issue with Elias hitting him with the guitar last night, and Elias doesn’t need to worry about the fans, because he has a problem with J-E-double-F, J-A-double-R-E-double-T. The Road Dogg then comes out to interrupt. Road Dogg gets on the mic and tells Elias to do us all a favor and play with himself on his own time, and if he’s not down with that, they’ve got two words for him. Road Dogg tries to calm down the fans’ “holy shit” chant, and then he says that he and Jeff want to sing. “With My Baby Tonight” hits and they start performing on the stage. They come down to ringside, and Elias hits Road Dogg with a guitar. Jarrett and Elias get in the ring and start trading blows now. Jarrett starts firing up and he drops Elias with a right hand. Jarrett picks up a guitar, but Elias hits him and takes the guitar, then hits it over Jarrett’s back. Elias taunts the fans while Jarrett and Road Dogg are down.
– Natalya is shown backstage warming up. Dana Brooke walks over and says she isn’t going to let Natalya down in their tag match tonight. Dana says she’s better than Natalya and also Natalya’s first partner choice Ember Moon.
– Mojo Rawley is backstage in a dark room, and he seems to be talking to himself and getting more and more angry. The camera pans to show that he’s talking to himself in the mirror, and blaming himself for his lack of progress in WWE. He says that ends now, and soon everyone will see who he really is.
– Natalya & Dana Brooke vs. Liv Morgan & Sarah Logan: Ruby Riott is at ringside for this one. The opening bell sounds and Natalya and Logan start this one off, and Natalya takes control early on. At ringside, Dana and Liv get into it. Back in the ring, Dana tags in and goes at it with Logan. Liv and Natalya tag back in, and Natalya hits a suplex. Ruby gets involved, and Liv rolls up Natalya from behind for a two count. Natalya puts Liv in the Sharpshooter, and Ruby tries to run in but Dana takes her out. Sarah Logan pushes Dana into Natalya, and then Liv rolls up Natalya for the three count.
Winners: Liv Morgan & Sarah Logan
– After the break, Ronda Rousey comes out to the ring and gets on the mic. Ronda talks about setting big goals and now standing in front of everyone as Women’s Champion. She points up at the WrestleMania sign and says Becky has a big choice to make soon. Bayley comes out to the stage and it looks like Bayley wants a shot at the Women’s Title right now.
– Ronda Rousey (c) vs Bayley: Ronda’s Women’s Title is on the line in this one. Ronda immediately goes after Bayley’s arm and looks for the armbar, but Bayley fights her off. Bayley fights back and starts working over Ronda’s knee now, then knocks her out to ringside. Back in the ring, Bayley continues to target Ronda’s bad knee. Ronda fights back and connects with some kicks and knees, but Bayley catches a kick and looks for a knee bar on Ronda. Ronda fights out, and they roll out to ringside. Bayley suplexes Ronda into the fan barricade. Bayley connects with a kick and then throws Ronda in the ring for a two count. Bayley hits a flying elbow off the top on Ronda, then she applies the Banks Statement on Ronda. Ronda reaches the ropes to break the hold. Bayley takes Ronda into the corner and goes up top. Ronda slides through Bayley’s legs and connects with punches. Ronda pulls Bayley down and applies the armbar on the mat. Bayley taps out for the finish.
Winner & still Women’s Champion: Ronda Rousey
– After the match, Bayley and Ronda shake hands. Becky Lynch comes out to interrupt. Bayley leaves and Becky steps in the ring. Becky gets on the mic and talks trash to Ronda, and says she’s going to prove Ronda isn’t the toughest one in the company. Becky says she’s going to beat up Ronda in front of the whole world, then Ronda gets on the mic and taunts Becky about her injured leg. She says she doesn’t want to just beat Becky, she wants to beat the best version of Becky that’s ever existed. Ronda gets in Becky’s face before leaving.
– Braun Strowman confronts Seth Rollins backstage, and tells Rollins he earned it last night and shakes his hand. Braun tells Rollins to make the right choice tonight.
– Braun Strowman vs. Drew McIntyre: Braun and Drew start with strikes and tests of strength in the opening moments of this one. Braun knocks Drew outside and he looks for a spear into the barricade, but Drew dodges and sends Braun crashing into the barricade by himself. Back in the ring, Drew applies a sleeper until Braun fights out and hits a side suplex. Braun follows up with a right hand and a splash in the corner. Braun dumps Drew outside and follows him out. Braun looks for a slam into the ring post, but Drew escapes and pushes Strowman into the post by himself. Drew goes up on the apron, and Braun throws him off down to the floor. Braun grabs the ring steps and heads towards Drew, but then Baron Corbin runs in and attacks Braun.
Winner via DQ: Braun Strowman
– After the bell, Corbin continues the assault on Braun. He goes to swing a chair at Braun, but Braun punches the chair away and then throws Corbin into the ring steps. Braun runs around ringside and tackles Drew into the barricade, then he runs back around and tackles Corbin. Braun slams Corbin into the ring steps again, but then Drew runs over and boots Braun in the face. Drew and Baron beat down on Braun together now, and then they double chokeslam him onto the ring steps.
– Daniel Bryan is shown backstage talking with Eric Rowan.
– We see Paul Heyman knock on Brock Lesnar’s locker room door for Seth Rollins’ announcement.
– The ring announcer introduces Seth Rollins, but instead of Rollins, Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman come out. Heyman gets on the mic and says this should be the easiest choice of Seth Rollins’ life — he should want to face Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania instead of Lesnar, for Seth’s own good. Paul talks about the beating Rollins would be in for if he fought Brock, and Rollins should choose to have a nice grappling match with Bryan instead. Rollins finally comes out and interrupts. Rollins hits the ring and immediately goes after Brock with punches and kicks. Rollins hits some kicks to the mid section, but Brock recovers and grabs Rollins. Brock hits the F-5 on Rollins, and then another one. Referees try to call off Brock, but Brock continues the assault on Rollins. Lesnar hits several more F-5’s, including an F-5 on to the Universal Title belt. Rollins is down, and Brock picks him up again for yet another F-5 as RAW goes off the air.