The Vice President of All Elite Wrestling, Cody Rhodes, recently addressed the ongoing inter-promotional beef between AEW’s Kenny Omega and WWE Superstar Seth Rollins during an appearance on ESPN Radio.
“The American Nightmare” spoke all things pro-wrestling, including the recent comments made by former WWE Universal Champion Seth Rollins about his fellow Elite member Kenny Omega.
Additionally, Cody, who is also one of AEW’s top active in-ring performers, discusses poking fun at WWE, stating there’s nothing mean-spirited about their intentions, just a little friendly competition.
Featured below are some of the highlights from the Cody interview on ESPN Radio:
On being an alternative and poking fun at WWE: “I just see the way that Kevin Dunn shoots WWE, and not so much the booking of it but how he shoots it, it’s kind of setting the ball up for [AEW]. We wanted to be an alternative. Now of course when you’re counter-programmed on your night, you are competing. It’s no longer just an alternative but we still say that we want to be an alternative because what we’re doing is completely different. Here’s the only thing you will recognize – the ring in the center of the building. Okay, that’s a wrestling ring; everything else that we’re doing is a very, very different kind of wrestling. And that’s why it’s sometimes fun to poke fun at [WWE] and not in a mean-spirited way,” Cody continued. “All of these rules that have been in place for twenty years, they’re not wrestling rules. They’re WWE rules. Oh, it’s a contract signing so there has to be a fight. Oh, the person can’t just look at the monitor, they have to stand to the side because that’s how Kevin likes to shoot it. It’s some nonsense and it worked for them until it stopped working for them. We’re just happy to do wrestling how we want to do it.”
On AEW’s partnership with Warner Media: “The good thing about our partners at Warner Media and the TNT family? They weren’t there during the Attitude Era or the Monday night wars. There was nobody on staff except for maybe one guy, and that is great. It’s all young, open minded, congruent with what an actual snapshot of America and the world looks like today. It’s like a utopia at the moment in terms of synergy that we get from our partners at Warner Media and how they allow us to lead this. We’re not under the gun; the biggest pressure we’re under is our own pressure to deliver because we had such an unbelievable debut – the biggest debut in five years for a Warner Media institution. We were opposed, and to do so well against WWE and to still be doing well? The pressure we’re putting on ourselves is ample already.”
On the comments made by Seth Rollins regarding Kenny Omega and AEW: “For the developmental comments when they came from Kenny, and then when the minor league comments came from Seth, I think that’s just two really great athletes. In the case of Seth specifically trying to prod, or poke, or get under the skin of one another, I don’t think it was as mean-spirited as the world made them out to be. I think Seth is super talented; I believe I had his very first dark match in WWE. He’s a unique soul, he’s super talented, he works his ass off for them when a lot of people in the company just look to collect a check. I kind of just sit back in those moments and don’t take it personally because part of wrestling is us talking s–t about each other, so, I never take anything personally,” Cody added. “And I’m surprised when we’re such a ‘woke’ culture that we take everything as a, ‘Stop saying WWE!’ Enjoy it; if you don’t like this person, perfect. It’s more fuel to the fire. And if you do love them, you shout their name from the rooftops. I just look at it as wrestlers talking smack about other wrestlers which is a key component of wrestling in the first place.”
On calling Kenny Omega one of the top 5 wrestlers in the world: “I think Kenny is one of the top 5 pro wrestlers – one that the crowd buys tickets for, that communicates to them, and does it bell to bell, so, that’s my definition of pro wrestling. I think he’s one of the top 5 in the world, probably top 3. And the thing I like about him is that I think the world is just beginning to see him for the first time. I mean, he was in Japan and New Japan was a thing that came on at 4 in the morning if you did watch Wrestle Kingdom. Him going into the match with Jon Moxley, and Moxley being one of the most motivated wrestlers on the planet, I think this is kind of a jumping off point for what Kenny Omega looks like in AEW. And it looks very good. Kenny’s amazing and he’s trying to do something very different for the women’s division with having introduced Riho to us. That alone, I’m very thankful for that because she’s amazing.”
Listen to a complete audio archive of the full Cody interview from ESPN Radio by clicking here.
(H/T and transcribed by Wrestling Inc.)
Other WWE & AEW News
* Vince McMahon $$ Dispute With Crown Prince Of Saudi Arabia Led To Chaotic Travel Issues
* Sasha Banks Debuts Wild New Hairstyle In NYC (Photos)
* Pat McAfee Details Borrowing Colts Owner Jim Irsay’s Plane To Fill-In On SmackDown
* Nate Diaz After UFC 244 BMF Fight: “F*ck The Rock, He Can Get It Too” (Video)
* First Women’s WWE Match In Saudi Arabia Meant More To Natalya Than You Realize
* Backstage News On New Idea WWE Will Be Doing Every Week On RAW
* Ricochet Teases Changing Up His Look In WWE
* Sting To Make WWE Return At Survivor Series This Month?
* Hulk Hogan On ABC’s “The Goldbergs” On Wed., 11/9 (Photos)
* Kyle O’Reilly On Diabetes Month: “Having This Device Makes Me Like A Cyborg” (Photos)
* Chris Jericho Makes NJPW Return (Video), Set For Big Wrestle Kingdom 14 Match
* Renee Young On Being On RAW Announce Team: “I Never Felt Comfortable Doing That Job”
* NEW WWE Universal Title Belt To Debut On SmackDown THIS Friday (PHOTO)
* Stephanie McMahon Explains No All-Women’s WWE Evolution PPV This Year
* Could A Boxing vs. WWE Match Between Tyson Fury & Brock Lesnar Be In The Works?
* Billie Kay Resurfaces After Twitter Hiatus: “Been Having Some Tough Nights …”
eWrestling.com Social Media Interaction
* Follow eWrestling head writer Matt Boone on Twitter @MattBoone1984
* Follow the official eWrestling account on Twitter @eWrestlingCOM
* Follow the official eWrestling Facebook page at Facebook.com/eWrestlingCOM
* Chat with other fans about this article in the official eWrestling Disqus feed below, or at Disqus.com/home/forums/http-ewrestling-com
— Matt Boone (@MattBoone1984) November 4, 2019